A Travellerspoint blog

Love in Any Language

The time to give has presented itself

sunny 33 °C
View CONTACT Uganda 2016 on Peliroja's travel map.

It was a bit hard getting up this morning...but I still got ready by 9am as I was asked. However, today being the first day back after a holiday, my pickup ended up being delayed so I could catch up on some writing of the blog.

I was in the middle of the town and watching people gather around the water pump outside of the hotel.  20160329_084526-1.jpg


While I got ready, I realized that the line of jerry-cans started to grow. I was able to eat my spaghetti breakfast in peace  but also noticed that more and more women and children were gathering out in front of the hotel. 20160329_090650-1.jpg The pickup delay provided me more time to write but I had no idea that it would be so long. Considering the delay to leave for Gulu the day before, I was not stressed. When I returned to the lobby, I noticed the very long line of jerry-cans. Apparently, the electricity was out for the whole of the district...and the hotel was scrambling to get their generator up and running so the pump could function again.

I snoozed a bit in the heat while waiting on the couch but Joseph finally picked me up by 11 and I was shocked by the first bit of A/C thus far. We arrived at Aludi's office and I was greeted with coffee and chapati.  He then introduced me to every single one of his staff members. One woman gave me her name, "Lanyero" which means 'a joyful person.' ☺

Once I had met everyone, Aludi took me to St. Jude's Children's Home   which has a section with families with children with disabilities who live there in an area called the called a Consolation Home. Josephine Ogweta is the Deputy Director but she has not been updated on the website yet. Aludi is a board member there.


We sat in her office and she told me all about the programs that the place has running at the same time. The way they are set up is similar to that of the SOS Childrens Villages worldwide (I went with the church in Hannamdong , Seoul, S. Korea to deliver gifts we'd collected for Christmas in December 2002...so I'm familiar with the set up.) The difference is, St. Jude's has five homes dedicated to "families" with children with disabilities. One mother looks after 5 children with disabilities, some her own. St. Jude's provides training for mothers and a pathway for children with disabilities.


I was blown away by the work they are doing it was amazing! They had the cleanest homes and classrooms I had seen in a place like this. After I greeted every family and saw some amazing little ones, we finished the tour of the farming equipment and returned to the main office. I could not help but unload all the children's clothes I'd paid overweight fees to bring and my colleagues had donated...especially after seeing those beautiful babies-one gorgeous, happy 4 month old was there because mom passed away and dad was incarcerated with no set date of release.

20160329_130241-1.jpg 2016-03-30_09_22_28.jpg20160329_131035-1.jpg 20160329_131049-1.jpg2016-03-31_08_34_07.jpg 20160329_131601-1.jpg

We returned to Caritas and, once I was able to do some posting, Aludi had a couple of meetings and we attempted toarrange my visits to Ngoya in Karamoja as well as my return to Fort Portal after 10 years away, we went to lunch at an Ethiopian restaurant at 15:00.  Since Caritas had a generator, the internet was good and I could charge all my gadgets.  From there, we went to his house to switch to the official Caritas car and had a short rest before returning to Caritas.

We went back to have a bit of catch up before Aludi took me to see the seminary where he grew up. http://www.hopeforuganda.org/ I met the Vicar, Head, and we chatted about MUN. We finally left and I checked into the Wallville Cottages near Aludi's home at about 6pm.

Earlier in the day, Aludi had predicted rain but with the heat was so intense all day...but as we arrived at my hotel,  the ran clouds rolled in and we had proper thunder and  lightning. It was a much needed cool down as well as rain for the crops.

At 8pm, he picked me up and we went for "Snacks" at Pier A2 which was a gym, massage, restaurant and dance club. It was quite strange, especially when one man thought it was okay to come into the restaurant with just a towel...

We decided to call it an early night and I was in bed by 10. The electricity went off somewhere after midnight and the fan went off. The rain had not quite cooled off my room so I woke up a few times after the generator turned off and thus, the fan.

Posted by Peliroja 22:28 Archived in Uganda Tagged gulu

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint